Sunday, July 26, 2015

Gluten Free (and Paleo) Butternut Squash Soup

Fall is in the air! I absolutely love this time of year. Breezy days, cooler nights, campfires, and of course my favorite....BAKING! Today I happened to be home with my daughter who is fighting off a nasty cold, so I had all this time on my hands and decided I would make some of my favorite Fall recipes. It was the perfect day for cooking and baking and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. I love days like these.
It was around lunch time and I decided I wanted to make some soup. These days I am trying to eat mostly Paleo and of course Gluten Free so I was looking for something that could fit into both of those categories. Then I saw that Butternut Squash on my counter top and it hit me! Yes! What could be more Fall than Butternut Squash soup? Let me tell you, this is one of the first times I have ever made this soup and it was absolutely delish! Roasting the vegetables creates such a deep, succulent flavor.
Here's how I made it:
I peeled & chopped a large butternut squash (about 5 lbs.), 1 granny smith apple, 2 large carrots, and a small vidalia onion. Then placed them in a large bowl and tossed with extra virgin olive oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, cumin, chili powder, salt & pepper. Next, I spread them over two cookie sheets and baked in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes.


After the veggies baked in the oven for 30 minutes, I removed them and let them cool.


In the meantime, I heated up a large pot over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp. extra virgin organic coconut oil. Once the oil melted, I added my veggies and 3 cups of low sodium chicken broth. Once that came to a boil, I lowered the heat and simmered for 20 minutes. Once done simmering you can either take an immersion blender and blend it right in the pot, or you can do what I did and put all of it into a blender and blend it until smooth. Now you have to be extremely careful when mixing hot liquids in a blender. You want to make sure to hold the lid with a kitchen towel to prevent it from splattering everywhere. Don't do what I just did and forget to hold it down! EPIC FAIL!




Once the soup is blended and smooth, it's ready to serve! It will last in the refrigerator for about a week. It even freezes well, for up to 6 months. This soup is not only delicious but so versatile. Your kids will even love it! The tartness of the apple mixes so well with the sweetness of the squash, and the hint of fresh carrot comes through.




This soup is even toddler approved!



Recipe for my  Gluten Free (and Paleo) Butternut Squash Soup:
Ingredients:
1 Large Butternut Squash (about 5 lbs.), peeled and chopped
1 Small Vidalia Onion, chopped
2 Large carrots, chopped
1 Granny Smith applie, peeled and chopped
3 cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Organic Coconut Oil
2 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
Salt & Pepper
Directions:
1. Peel and Chop the butternut squash, carrots, apple, and onion and put into a large bowl. Add the olive oil and spices and mix to coat all the veggies.
2. Transfer the veggies to 2 large cookie sheet pans and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
3. When the veggies are done, heat up the coconut oil over medium high heat, add all of the veggies, and the 3 cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Using an immersion blender or regular blender, blend the veggies until smooth. Make sure to be extra careful if you are using a regular blender and hold down the lid with a kitchen towel to prevent splatters and burning.
6. Once the soup is blended, transfer to a bowl and enjoy!
* This soup makes about 8 cups and will last in the refrigerator about a week and in the freezer for 6 months .
Enjoy!
Xo
Melanie


No comments:

Post a Comment