Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Gluten Free Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie with Coconut Crust

Thanksgiving is only 2 weeks away! I cannot even believe it! It seems like just yesterday Fall was beginning. Where has the time gone? The Holidays are truly my favorite time of year! Catching up with family and friends, hanging out, laughing, talking, and enjoying meals together. I love it all! I love the fact that we Celiacs can still enjoy the Holidays! There are so many gluten free ingredients available now. A lot more than there was when I first became gluten free! Baking is my passion, as I'm sure you all know! I love baking around the Holidays, especially with the kids. There's something just so relaxing about it. Pumpkin Pie is one of my favorites to make! I usually make my pumpkin pie with gluten free graham cracker crust, but this time I decided to experiment, and I'm glad I did! This coconut flour crust pairs so well with the pumpkin. It's sweet and delicious! Now, keep in mind that this is definitely not a roll out crust. Since coconut flour is so delicate, you will have to just press it in and around your pie pan to get it just right. Overall, it's pretty easy to work with. You can use this crust for any kind of pie really. Fill it with some chocolate pudding, make banana cream pie, and it would be amazing with coconut cream filling! Top the pie off with some whipped cream or coconut cream or just eat it as it is. The possibilities are endless! I made this pie dairy free, but you can definitely use evaporated milk if you choose. I hope you enjoy this pie as much as my family did. In fact, half of the pie I made tonight is GONE! Trust me, it won't last long!

Xo

Melanie



Coconut Crust
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp. Organic Agave Light Nectar
2 Large Eggs
1/4 Cup + 3 Tbsp. Organic Coconut Flour
1/8 Tsp. Sea Salt

Directions: Spray a pie pan with some nonstick cooking spray and set aside. In a stand mixer (can use a hand mixer if that's all you have), mix the coconut oil and agave together until creamy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Next, add in the coconut flour and salt and mix until combined. Take the dough out and firmly press it in and around the sides of the pie pan. The dough is really easy to work with. Set aside.



 Gluten Free/Dairy Free Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:
1 Can  (16 oz.) Organic Pumpkin Puree
3/4 Cup Organic Cane Sugar
3 Large Eggs
1 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 Tsp. Sea Salt
1 Tbsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice



Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees. Place the pie pan over a medium sheet pan to prevent spilling and set aside. Add all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat until fully combined, about 1 minute. Pour the batter into the pie pan over the crust. Be careful because it will reach the very top of the pan. Carefully place the sheet pan with the pie into the oven and bake for 1 hour, until golden brown and cooked through. Let the pie cool for at least 40 minutes before serving.







No comments:

Post a Comment