Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Banana Oat Avocado Muffins (Gluten Free & Refined Sugar Free!)

Fall...are you getting tired of me talking about it yet?! As you know it is my favorite season! I love baking in the Fall, there's nothing better. The smell of cinnamon, apples, and pumpkin throughout the house...ahhh, it brings me to my happy place! I'm eating better these days and trying to lose some weight, so I love to experiment making healthy baked treats, the ones that don't make you feel guilty or bloated after eating them. It's extremely hard to stay healthy and work out, especially in the Fall and Winter months. I've managed to lose 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks and I'm so excited! As hard as it is, I can do it and reaching smaller goals every week feels great.
These muffins are delicious and healthy! I have never baked with avocado before, but I have heard great things so I thought I'd give it a try. I must say, I am in LOVE! I love eating avocados, but now I know I love baking with them. It's a win win!
These muffins are jam packed with wholesome goodness! They are so moist and flavorful, and you can't even tell they are gluten free! The crumb topping is crispy and sweet and delicious. It goes perfectly with the muffins.
 I almost forgot to mention- these muffins are 100% refined sugar free as well! Woohoo! Give them a try and let me know what you think.

Banana Oat Avocado Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

Ingredients:
3 Ripe Bananas, mashed
1 Ripe Avocado, pitted and mashed
1/4 Cup Nonfat Plain Greek Yogurt
1 Tsp. GF Vanilla Extract
1/2 Cup Organic Pure Agave Nectar
1/2 Cup Millet Flour
1/2 Cup Sweet Sorghum Flour
1/2 Cup Organic Cornstarch
2 Tsp. GF Baking Soda
1 Tbsp. Organic Ground Flax Seed
1 Pinch of Sea Salt
Coconut Oil Spray

Crumb Topping Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. GF Quick Cooking Oats
3 Tbsp. of Organic Coconut Palm Sugar
3 Tbsp. Organic Butter, cold and cubed
1 Tsp. GF Ground Cinnamon

Directions:

To make the Crumb Topping:

Add all of the ingredients into a small bowl and use a pastry cutter or fork to break up the butter. Mix this for a few minutes, until crumbs form. Set aside.

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin pan with some coconut oil spray and set aside.
2. In a stand mixer, combine the banana and avocado and mix on medium speed until creamy. Add in the greek yogurt, vanilla, and agave until fully combined.
3. Next, add in the flours, salt, baking soda, and flax seed and mix on medium, until fully combined.
4. Scoop the batter into the 12 cup muffin pan, filling about 3/4 full.
5. Next, sprinkle on the crumb topping over each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
6. Let cool 10 minutes before serving. The muffins can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze them in a ziplock bag for 2 months.



Enjoy!

Xo
Melanie




No comments:

Post a Comment