Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Strawberry Agave Muffins (Gluten Free & Sugar Free)

I'm up pretty early these days since my 12 year old started back at school, so I enjoy my quiet mornings while my daughter is still sleeping. One of my favorite things to bake is homemade muffins! I love to make them with any type of fruit, and today I just happened to have some strawberries that needed to be used up. You know the kind where if you don't use them you'll lose them? Yup, those! I had to use them up or I'd have to throw them out, which I hate doing. I must say it was quite a productive morning. Not only did I manage to clean most of our downstairs, but I also mopped, ran the dishwasher, and made these beautiful muffins! For all the stay at home moms, you know what I'm talking about! I just love mornings like this.
These muffins come together in no time, and they are simply delicious! I used Raw Agave in place of sugar. I really love agave and I've been trying to use it more in place of sugar in my recipes. And honestly, you really cannot tell the difference.  And you don't even have to tell your kids or husband that! They will never know. I like to bake with it, knowing that I'm making something a little bit more healthy. My go to flour mixture for baking muffins is a combination of Brown Rice flour, Sweet Sorghum flour, and Millet flour. These together give your baked goods a delicious sweet taste and they stay super moist!

Strawberry Agave Muffins

Ingredients:
5 Tbsp. Organic Virgin Coconut Oil (solid)
1/2 Cup Raw Agave
2 Eggs
1 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1 Cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 Cup Sweet Sorghum Flour
1/2 Cup Millet Flour
2 Tsp. Zanthan Gum
2 Tsp. GF Baking Powder
1 Cup Fresh Strawberries, diced into small chunks
GF Coconut Oil Baking Spray

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 12 cup muffin pan with coconut oil spray and set aside.
2. Whisk the flours, zanthan gum, and baking powder together in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a larger bowl (I use a stand mixer, but you can use a hand mixer if that's what you have), beat the coconut oil and agave together on medium speed until creamy- around 2 minutes. Add in the eggs, one at a time and beat until fully mixed.
4. Next, add in the almond milk and beat at medium speed until fully combined. Add in he flour mixture in two parts, beating on medium speed until fully mixed together. Once the batter is fully mixed, fold in the strawberries gently until they are fully combined.
5. Using a small ice cream scoop, divide the batter into the muffin pan, filling each about 3/4 of the way. Gently smooth the top of the muffins using the back of the ice cream scoop if needed.
6. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and let cool about 10 minutes.
* These muffins will keep around a week if stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze them for up to 6 months.

Enjoy!

Xo
Melanie


No comments:

Post a Comment